Cat Health

Creeping Jenny and Cats: Toxicity Explained Simply

If you travel through tropical regions or through villages that have more trees and plants than houses and factories; you will certainly appreciate nature and wish to relocate closer to nature or bring nature to your doorsteps, hence, the reason why most of us have gardens.

In our gardens, we have varieties of plants ranging from our delicious fruits, spice, and vegetables we use in cooking and some other beautiful plants that we appreciate their flowers. These flowers will range from lilies, roses, carpet grass, creeping Charlie, creeping Jenny, catnip, and so forth. If you have so many plants around or in your house, finding out if those plants will hurt your pets is important.

Is creeping Jenny toxic to cats? No, plants that are toxic to cats usually cause organ damage or death. Although the creeping Jenny is incapable of causing severe complications, It is likely to cause minor irritations( vomiting, upset stomach, and diarrhea) if consumed in large quantities.

Creeping Jenny and Cats

What is creeping Jenny?

Creeping Jenny is a plant that is native to Europe and Asia. It is a member of the mint family and has a creeping, prostrate growth habit. The leaves are round or oval-shaped and have a scalloped margin. The flowers are small and yellow and bloom in summer.

The plant gets its common name from the way the leaves seem to “creep” along the ground. Creepy, right? This plant is often used as a ground cover in gardens because of its spreading habit. It can be invasive in some areas, so be sure to check with your local extension office before planting it. Creeping Jenny is tolerant of a wide range of soils and light conditions, so it is relatively easy to care for. It can be propagated by seed or division.

Is Creeping Jenny Toxic to Cats?

While creeping Jenny is not considered to be toxic to cats, it can cause gastrointestinal upset if eaten in large quantities. The plant contains small amounts of saponins, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your cat eats a large amount of the plant, they may also experience drooling, lethargy, and loss of appetite

How can I keep my cat safe from creeping jenny?


Owen Monie a vet at Animal Trust, describes how a cat could easily come in contact with a toxic plant because of their behavioral attributes: ” cats love to rub against we humans, appliances, furniture, plants.” Says Owen. How does this behavior contribute to toxicity in cats?

Most toxic plants are not only toxic to cats if eaten and swallowed; your cat could get poisoned if they brush past the pollen. Lilly, tulip, and some other plants are known to cripple your cat’s general health and eventually damage your kitty’s kidney.

Luckily, creepy Jenny is not toxic to your cat even if they eat, swallow and brush past the pollens, but this doesn’t mean you should give your cat unsupervised access to the creeping Jenny plant—since it could still cause health challenges if eaten in large amounts.

To keep your cat safe from creeping Jenny, ensure your cat is denied access to anywhere you have this plant growing. In my case, I have varieties of plants in my garden, such as my basic cooking spice, mugwort, mulch, creeping jenny to beautify the higher grounds, and many more. I also made my garden off-limit for my cat

What are some other plants that are toxic to cats

Toxic plants are plants that produce toxins and can cost your cat’s quality of life or even cause death. Here are some plants that are toxic to cats:


Lilly is a beautiful flower that is poisonous to cats. The lily family includes many flowers that are toxic to cats, including the Easter lily, tiger lily, stargazer lily, and daylily. All parts of the lily plant are poisonous to cats, including the stem, leaves, flowers, and bulbs. If your cat ingests any part of a lily, it can be fatal.

Lilies are often used in bouquets and as decorations, so it’s important to be aware of the danger they pose to your feline friend. If you have lilies in your home, keep them out of reach of your cat. If you suspect your cat has ingested a lily, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately. Symptoms of lily poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. If left untreated, lily poisoning can lead to kidney failure and death.

If you’re looking for a safe and beautiful flower to include in your home décor, consider opting for a non-toxic variety such as roses, daisies, or carnations.


If you have a cat, you may want to think twice before planting tulips in your garden. While these flowers are beautiful and popular, they can be poisonous to cats if ingested. Tulips contain a compound called tuliposide A, which can cause gastrointestinal upset in cats. Symptoms of tulip poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. In severe cases, tulip poisoning can lead to liver damage and death


Azalea is a beautiful flowering shrub that is often used as a decorative plant in gardens. However, many people don’t realize that azalea is poisonous to cats. If a cat ingests even a small amount of azalea, it can lead to serious health problems or even death.

The toxic substance in azalea is called grayanotoxin. This substance can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, and tremors in cats. In severe cases, it can cause heart arrhythmias and respiratory failure. Even if a cat doesn’t die from ingesting azalea, the experience can be very painful and stressful.

If you have an azalea in your garden, be sure to keep your cat away from it. If you think your cat has ingested azalea, take them to the vet immediately. With prompt treatment, most cats will recover from azalea poisoning. However, it’s always best to prevent your cat from being exposed to this dangerous plant in the first place.


If you have a cat, you might want to think twice before adding a hyacinth to your indoor plants. That’s because hyacinths are poisonous to cats.

The good news is that hyacinths are not particularly appealing to cats. So, if you have a cat and you want to keep a hyacinth in your home, you’ll need to take some precautions.

Make sure the hyacinth is out of reach of your cat. If your cat can’t get to the plant, he can’t eat it.

Keep an eye on your cat when he’s around the plant. If he starts to show interest in the plant, remove it from his reach.

If your cat does eat a hyacinth, call your veterinarian immediately. Eating a hyacinth can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death in cats.

So, if you love your cat, don’t take chances with a hyacinth. Keep it out of reach and out of sight.

English Ivy

English ivy (Hedera helix) is a common houseplant that can be found in many homes and gardens. It’s an evergreen vine that can grow up to 50 feet in length, with small, dark green leaves. While English ivy is a beautiful plant, it’s important to know that it can be poisonous to cats.

If a cat ingests English ivy, it can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, it can lead to liver damage and even death. If you suspect your cat has eaten English ivy, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

There are a few ways to keep your cat safe from English ivy. If you have the plant in your home, make sure it’s out of reach of your cat. You can also consider planting English ivy in a hanging basket or pot so it’s not easily accessible to your cat.

If you have English ivy in your garden, keep your cat away from the plant. You can do this by fencing off the area, or by keeping your cat indoors when you’re gardening.

By taking these simple precautions, you can help keep your cat safe from the dangers of English ivy.

The symptoms of plant toxicity in cats

The most common symptom of plant toxicity in cats is vomiting. If your cat is vomiting, it is important to take them to the vet right away. Other symptoms of toxicity include diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. If your cat is displaying any of these symptoms, it is important to get them to the vet as soon as possible.

The most common cause of toxicity in cats is ingesting something that they should not have. This can include plants, chemicals, and even some medications. If you think your cat has ingested something it shouldn’t have, it is important to take them to the vet right away.

What To Do If Your Cat Has Been Poisoned

If your cat has been poisoned by a plant, it is important to act quickly and seek professional help. Here are some things you can do to help your cat:

  • Remove the plant from your cat’s environment.
  • Call your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.
  • If your cat is vomiting, give them small amounts of water or milk to prevent dehydration.
  • Do not give your cat any food or treat until you have consulted with a veterinarian.
  • Bring a sample of the plant with you to the veterinarian so they can properly identify it and treat your cat accordingly.

Creeping Jenny and Cats


No, creeping Jenny is not poisonous to cats. Poison is anything that could cause illness or death to an organism. Unlike the Lilly, tulips, and hyacinth, creeping Jenny will not poison your cat or cause death. Your cat is most likely not going to be able to consume the amounts that could cause upset stomachs, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Take further precautions when it comes to plants in general, ensure you know most plants around your garden and a certain if they are healthy for your cat or not. Deny your cat access to the garden if you know you have plants that could cause poisoning.


I am Joshua kaynard, an avid cat lover. Our pets provide an excellent way of connecting with nature; I am committed to helping you understand all the aspects of your feline friend's life. Enjoy!

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button